Tuesday 12 July 2016

Review on the richest man in babylon

If nothing else, this was an entertaining read. Reading about finances is usually dead boring. This book avoided that pitfall by presenting itself as a series of narratives focused around the principles it wanted to
teach.

I'm not sure Babylon is a model I wish to emulate, given that it was considered one of the more depraved cities of the world and now stands as an allusion to pride and idolatry. Riches, yes, but great sins as well. But these tales are not, of course, actually from Babylon, so I suppose that's not much of a problem.

As for the "laws of gold" themselves, they seem fairly simple and logical. It's actually living by their principles that would be hard. The income distribution map that he highlights in the last few chapters doesn't exactly fit my purposes - I donate regularly to my church, and he has no room in his budget for tithing or taxes - but the model of self-control and of being the master of your own money is solid

No comments:

Post a Comment