Friday 15 July 2016

I hate nudity

Akande Ayobami, aka ‘Ayobami’, is a recording
artiste and real estate consultant. The
graduate of Science Laboratory Technology,
Ondo State Polytechnic does a fusion of hip-

hop, reggae and dance-hall music. The native
of Ondo State presently has two singles. One
is being promoted while the other is set to be
released very soon. In this interview with Star
Tracker, the handsome singer bares his mind
on his career challenges, love for music,
personal principles, and the very underbelly of
the Nigerian music industry.
How did your music journey begin?
I started music when I was in secondary
school. I started with dancing. Immediately I
left secondary school, I went to the studio
to record a song with one of my friends in
2001.
Why did you opt for music?
Music is something I have passion for. It’s
something I do effortlessly without stressing
myself. Music gives me the platform to pass
across my message to people. Whenever I
am sad, music lifts my spirit.
I do hip-hop, R & B with a fusion of
dancehall. 2face inspires me a lot. I like his
simplicity and talent. I see him as a mentor.
I have met him just once but I wasn’t able
to talk to him.
How do you intend to break into the
Nigerian music industry?
I have my own style of music and with that,
I think people will differentiate me from
others
Are you scared of the many talented artistes
in the industry?
I am not scared at all. Music isn’t
something I am forcing myself to do, it’s
an inbuilt talent. I can use what you are
putting on to do freestyle right now. It
comes naturally to me, that is why I am not
bothered about anybody.
Why did you choose Ayobami as your stage
name?
I decided to use my real name because of
the depth of the meaning. When I call
myself Ayobami, it gives me the courage to
move on.
Would you allow a video vixen touch your
private part in a music video?
I won’t allow that. My kind of music is
meant to affect people positively. Doing
such isn’t good for my brand.
Can your kind of music find a place in the
Nigerian music industry?
Yes I think my kind of music will go far in
the Nigerian market. It’s not that I have a
godfather somewhere, I just believe in my
abilities. I know if I keep pushing, I will get
there one day.
What are your challenges as an upcoming
artiste?
The road hasn’t been smooth. I started
doing music in 2001 and this is 2016 and I
am still not known.
How do you raise funds for your music?
Before now I was with Modela, I worked
with him from 2003-2006. He used to be my
manager and he was responsible for my
financial matters. In 2007, a record label
from London took the financial burden off
me. But For now, I am the one paying the
bills.
What is the greatest price you have paid for
your music career?
There was a time I used my school fees in
producing a song. It was about N100,000
When that happened, how were you able to
later raise the money for your school fees?
I got the money from my girlfriend then.
Are you still dating her?
No.
Why?
It’s a family issue. I was supposed to be
married to her but we had some family
issues that stopped us from getting married.
How do you relate with your female fans?
I just relate with them like friends and that
is where it ends. I can’t start sleeping
around because I’m a musician, it will still
affect my career. I don’t let it go beyond the
greetings.
What does sex mean to you?
Sex is spiritual.
What is your opinion about sexual content in
Nigerian music videos?
Those are the things I don’t really like.
There is a way love can be portrayed in a
music video without showing a lady’s
sensitive body parts or going naked. Even if
an artiste sings a dance track these days,
you will still see naked ladies being paraded
in the music video. I don’t like that. When
your music video has a good concept your
video will still sell.
Would you accept if you are asked to change
your style of music to commercial music?
I won’t accept, because I’ll be doing
something that is not coming from my mind.
It’s not all about money. I think your
principles and what you want people to
know about you goes a long way. How you
want people to see you is important. It’s not
only when you display explicit content that
you succeed as an artiste. Adekunle Gold
isn’t doing that and he is succeeding. I am
not holy; I just want to affect people
positively with my music. I sing songs that
can affect your life and make you a better
person.
Are you saying the crop of music being
churned out these days is not having positive
impact?
We all know that there are some songs that
you don’t want your kids to listen to.
Do you like Olamide?
I like Olamide, he is talented.
Some of his songs were recently banned
because of the explicit lyrics. What do you
have to say about that?
I like Olamide because he is a talented
artiste. I am not talking about his lyrics. He
is good at what he does. He might be
singing about things I might not like, but I
just like the fact that he is good.
Your song Agba awo, what does it really
mean?
It means the Supreme Being. The song is
simply about God. It’s also a way to
connect to the streets. That was how I
came about Agba awo
What is that one thing you cannot do for
fame and stardom?
I was raised to believe in the power of
prayer and I know that God will answer me
at the right time. So I cannot do any
extreme thing because of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment